Statewide Young Adult Council (SYAC)
The Statewide Young Adult Council (SYAC) is a subcommittee of the MA State Mental Health Planning Council (SMHPC) and serves as an advisory board to the SMHPC and DMH’s TAY Initiative.
What is SYAC?
- Brings together youth, young adults, and providers to advise the Department of Mental Health (DMH) and other young adult service organizations - ultimately creating a cohesive, supportive network of families, peers and service providers throughout the Commonwealth;
- Seeks to inspire hope and recovery among youth/young adults across the state;
- Empowers youth/young adult voices within DMH;
- Encourages young people to advocate for themselves and to assist them in making their own choices/decisions with transitional life skills, including education, employment, housing, and healthcare;
- Works together to find equality and advocate for all youth/young adults.
Who can attend SYAC meetings?
- SYAC welcomes youth and young adults (age 16+) in MA to participate in meetings!
When are SYAC meetings?
- SYAC meetings are currently held on the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 2:00-3:30pm.
Where are SYAC meetings?
- Due to COVID-19, SYAC meetings are currently held VIRTUALLY via Zoom. For meeting information or to be sent a calendar invite, please contact the SYAC leadership team.
SYAC Leadership Team: Joel.firstname.lastname@example.org
- SYAC Co-Chair: Colby Mills(he/they) – email@example.com
- SYAC Co-Chair: Dev Kaplan (he/him) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- DMH Laision – Joel Khattar (he/him) – email@example.com
- DMH Director of Young Adult Services – Heidi Holland (she, her) firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about the State Mental Health Planning Council here: https://www.mass-smhpc.org/